A Year in Review- 2017
Hey Friends! It's been a huge year for us!
- We got our 501c3 approval from the IRS
- We taught our Wilderness Medicine curriculum for the 2nd time in Peru
- We successfully got our first ever intern on the team
- We developed a new program: "Project Climb" with the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Salt Lake
- We got published in CLIMBING MAGAZINE! Article
We just wanted to provide a quick recap of our amazing year! This year has been a wild ride in getting major pieces of our organization moving in the right direction. We are officially recognized as a 501(c)(3), we couldn't have asked for a greater thing to happen to us this year! Well besides getting featured in CLIMBING magazine, the article was titled, "The NGO Bringing Rock Climbing to Peru", check out the link in the quick facts. The article answers the questions that maybe some of you who are new to our organization may want to know! A major piece of the article answers the question, "why go to Peru". Which leads us to the fact that our most recent trip to Huaraz, Peru is our 2nd time teaching our wilderness medicine curriculum to the students and other interested locals. The climbing magazine article also brought 8 amazing donations for this year and it was a huge blessing to be able to provide that gear to the people of Huaraz!
This year we attended our first Outdoor Retailer show as a nonprofit and picked up incredible product sponsorships!
Shout Out to Our Sponsors
We are beyond thankful for this gear sponsorship from Nite Ize. They are a company that thinks outside the box to make technical gear solutions. Specifically for EMG, they equip us with gear like headlamps, lanterns, gear lines, gear ties, s-biners, and moonlit micro lanterns. These different pieces of equipment make it so much easier for us to teach students these different skills in wilderness medicine. The best thing about bringing our Nite Ize gear is that it provides a chance to inspire and challenge our students. A lot of this gear is unavailable in the areas we work in, yet so incredibly useful, so it's so awesome to be able to get this incredible gear into the hands of people who want it!
Another product sponsorship is with Adventure Medical Kits! They have played a key role in us providing FREE wilderness medicine to underserved communities. Medical supplies and kits can be SO costly which can eat away from our budget and our ability to spread awareness and carry out our mission. Their gear and medical kits are so well thought out and easy to use! They provide clear instructions as well as clear labels that are helpful in focusing on staying calm in tough situations.
We also had our first big fundraiser in October! We were able to establish relationships with a bunch of local companies and share our mission (and have a lot of fun!). This also led to our newest product sponsorship, Skullcandy! They have graciously donated products to us and we plan to use those in future. We love this sponsorship because no matter what, climbers, outdoor enthusiasts, or anyone at all, we all need a way to let loose in our craft. We can all do that with the products offered through Skullcandy and they are giving us that opportunity to share that with all of you!
What to Expect in 2018
Project Climb | February 2nd
We are so excited to announce this community collaboration with the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Salt Lake being facilitated at Momentum Indoor Climbing gym. This is a big focus for the upcoming year. We realized that we wanted to do a program to bring our mission back to the place of our roots. We have 3 major focuses for the youth in the program, those are to create healthy habits, build confidence, and provide a new outlet for exercise. These are all possible to do with rock climbing. Three of the top ten health benefits of rock climbing are (source): It combines cardio and strength into a single workout, increase mental strength, and reduces stress. These are the reasons that we want to work with the youth to encourage growth in these critical areas of health.
Other Upcoming Adventures
- Outdoor Retailer + Snow Show | January 25th- 28th
- We are in the search for more sponsors and we will be bringing our NEW MEDIA PACKAGE!!!! This has been such an incredible experience to create and work alongside our amazing photographer Louis Arevalo (@louisarevalo | website)! There are pictures below giving a sneak peek at some of the shots he captured on our recent trip to Peru.
- On- Snow Demo at Copper Mountain|January 29th & 30th
- Venturing to EcuadorWe have been asked to travel to Ecuador to teach our curriculum to students and locals. Nikki, our Founder, will be traveling down there early this upcoming year to set up a plan with the school and other local guides there. Then we will be planning an actual trip based on the logistics from that initial trip.
- Guest Bloggers and Instagram CollaborationsIf you or anyone you know would be interested in collaborating in either of these areas please reach out to us.
Keep up with our adventures in 2018 by following us @elevatedmountainguides on Instagram and Facebook!